Critical thinking is a key skill in media and information literacy. Discussions about fake news has led to a new focus on media literacy.
With Oxford Dictionaries announcement that post-truth is Word of the Year 2016, it seems that there is a need to educate and advocate for critical thinking – a crucial skill when navigating the information society.
The following infographic has eight simple steps (based on FactCheck.org’s 2016 article How to Spot Fake News) to discover the verifiability of a given news-piece.
You can download, print, translate, and share (do credit IFLA, and link back to this page) – share at home, at your library, in your local community, and on social media networks. The more we crowdsource our wisdom, the wiser the world becomes. Download JPG here. Download PDF here
How To Spot Fake News:
CONSIDER THE SOURCE
Click away from the story to investigate the site, its mission and its contact info.
CHECK THE AUTHOR
Do a quick search on the author. Are they credible? Are they real?
CHECK THE DATE
Reposting old news stories doesn’t mean they’re relevant to current events.
CHECK YOUR BIASES
Consider if your own beliefs could affect your judgement.
Headlines can be outrageous in an effort to get clicks. What’s the whole story ?
Click on those links. Determine if the info given actually supports the story.
IS IT A JOKE?
If it is too outlandish, it might be satire. Research the site and author to be sure.
ASK THE EXPERTS
Ask a librarian, or consult a fact-checking site.
PDFs in other languages:
- Español (Spanish) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Français (French) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Deutsch (German) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Dansk (Danish) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Nederlands (Dutch) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Suomi (Finnish) [PDF] | [JPG]
- עִברִית (Hebrew) [PDF] JPG, click image:
- Magyar (Hungarian) [PDF] | [JPG]
- 日本語 (Japanese) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Latviešu (Latvian) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Português (Portuguese) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Românește (Romanian) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Svenska (Swedish) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Türkçe (Turkish) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Українська (Ukrainian) [PDF] | [JPG]
- Cymraeg (Welsh) [PDF] | [JPG]
How To Spot Fake News (free infographic) by IFLA / Dr. Gil Dekel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Gil Dekel. 2 March 2017.
First published on http://www.ifla.org/publications/node/11174